Blog 6 St. James Academy


Before I continue with my story...have to take a brief moment in the "Here and Now" to acknowledge a heroic human being. RBG was waiting in the wings, growing up like all of us, to do something special with her life. She did something special alright, and like that one palm tree that stands up to the hurricane, that was RBG. Rest in peace, or if it be your calling give em' hell in the next life. You will be missed.

Looking Back....

St James Academy. The ghost is still there on the Google map. Standing where the school used to be is now Del Mar City Hall. The length of the property where St James stood spanned two streets and was at least ½ as wide. Memory is peculiar. Thinking back to spending 7 years there, my memory is like an image with overcorrected exposure. The edges are soft. I memorialize the sounds and images of children playing on the monkey bars during recess. The imagery in my mind pulls me almost close enough to be in the past.  Hot dog days, cupcakes, punch, ice cream cups.  Plays, fashion shows, piano recitals, volleyball, cheerleading, and carnivals are among those times seared into my memory. And least, but most of all, a lunch to be the envy of my playmates with sandwiches never on Wonder Bread. 

Fashion Week @ St. James




Before my arrival to St. James, I digress. At Central Elementary in Solana Beach, I got to wear real clothes. When we moved and switched schools, I entered the world of uniforms. They were okay I guess, mom liked the idea. Just when I started accepting the look of saddle oxfords, mom informed me I would be wearing Buster Browns, with brown socks of all things. I was no fashion queen, but brown socks? At Central Elementary we had naps and cookies in between finger painting sessions. What would it be like at St. James? The first day of school I cried all the way as mom walked me to the gate. I didn’t like the idea at all. If the uniforms weren't bad enough, the teachers appeared a little scary in those black and white gowns. And how was I going to make friends? We all looked alike.

I was smart enough and did my schoolwork and my homework. I had a small problem. I was easily distracted and liked to talk to other students. One day my second grade teacher, Sister Mary Pius, called my older brother in from the 8th grade to tell him I talked a lot. “So I suppose you are going to tell mom and dad” I said to him. (In the second grade I probably didn’t use the word suppose.) Yes, he said he had to. Looking back, I was glad he was in the 8th grade and it would be his last year at St. James.

Sister Mary Pius was very tall, or maybe it was that I was very short. I remember her skin was snowy white, and she was a gentle giant. Some years later, she ended up on the cover of Life or Look magazine for having served the underprivileged and the poor. I haven’t had any luck finding that issue, but I will keep looking.

After having mastered Dick, Jane, and Spot, the next year I moved to the 3rd and 4th grade room. My teacher, Sister Barbara Joann, was everyone’s favorite. I remember her circular wire rimmed glasses. Her face, seemed almost angelic, and she had a lot of patience. It seemed odd at the time that we had to watch a movie called “Reefer Madness”. I asked my parents what a reefer was, but they didn’t know either. Even now, 4th grade seems a bit young to have seen that. The imagery still lingers.

I could see into Sister Mary Pius’ room through a glass doors in the back room. Between the two classrooms was a small space separating us and another set of glass doors. Easily distracted, I spent quite a bit of time watching the activities in there. I was embarrassed when Sister Barbara Joann asked me if I would like to go back to the 1st grade. In those days kids weren’t labeled with an attention deficit disorder or other terms used to describe learning behaviors. But despite that, make no mistake. There were other remedies that started with “Wait til your father gets home...”

What I eventually realized about boys in those early years is they liked to chase you as a way of showing affection. I did have to result to popping one on the head with my book in the 3rd grade. No one was injured, but how long can one run.

The next four years my life seemingly changed me forever. I know I promised Lucy and Desi and I am getting to that, really, but first a couple of detours. 
 
Central Elementary

 

















Comments

  1. You are trend setter with that lace collar. Now i know where RBG got "the look"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and indirect compliment. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts